Wednesday, February 13, 2013

ARKANSAS GOV. SIGNS BILL PERMITTING GUNS IN CHURCH

LITTLE ROCK, AR (February 12, 2013) - Gov. Mike Beebe has signed into law a measure allowing concealed handguns in churches and says he believes a follow-up bill addresses the concerns that some pastors had about the new law.

Beebe told reporters Monday that he signed into law the bill that would leave it up to churches and other places of worship to decide whether to allow the concealed weapons.

The concealed handguns would be banned at churches unless they specifically allowed it. Beebe told reporters that a companion bill filed Friday addresses the worries raised by some clergy.

The recently filed House bill would require churches allowing concealed weapons to post signs notifying visitors about the decision.

I believe this is a great move that our governor has made and surprisingly he is a Democrat, so liberals cannot say this is "right-wing nut job." Ha!

Anyoo, great news for all gun owners in Arkansas and those that attend church. 

Living in the south has taught me one thing, most of the men around here are hardcore gun and bow hunters and they take pride in how well they care for their weapons, protecting their families and so forth. And believe it or not, lots of women are the same way. Which shocked me, at first, but I am used to it now. Women are just as capable as men handling weapons.

I know there are some that are not responsible but they are rare, thank goodness.

Thoughts?

13 comments:

Ducky's here said...

Thoughts?

Having been born in Alabama, my gratitude that I will never again live in one of those insane southern hell holes is considerable.

Jersey McJones said...

Wow.

JMJ

Right Truth said...

I remember an incident in a church where a shooter came in, but was taken down by someone in the church who was armed. I can't remember where it was.

This is a good thing, but I'm not really sure it is necessary.

As I have always said, if you have a concealed carry permit, have your own weapon, carry it with you at all times, no one will ever know if you are armed or not, unless you are required to use your weapon to protect yourself, your family, or others around you. We never leave home without our personal weapon, so wherever we are, we are prepared.

No one knows.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

Leticia said...

Ducky, that's just fine. I am sure Alabama is great place to live. The only complaint I have about the south is the horrid humidity and allergies. Blehh...other than that, well done!

Jersey, yup!

Debbie, here in our own town two women were brutally attacked, and then robbed at a church and they were alone, the perp knew this and made his move.

Had they been armed, he wouldn't have made it as far as he thought he would have. This is not an isolated incident. Churches are being targeted.

So, I am glad this passed. My church is way out in the boonies so I am relieved that some of our people will be able to protect us, just in case, you never know who might walk in the door.

I can understand your hesitation, but I just feel better being safe than sorry.

I really wish I had the $$ to buy a good pistol and get a concealed permit. So expensive!

dmarks said...

Those who oppose this have nothing more than an obsession over what people keep hidden in their pants. Its really none of their business, and perhaps they should seek counseling.

Liberalmann said...

He's not the first but so far he's the only Dem-a blue dog Dem at that.

christian soldier said...

GREAT IDEA--Good on the Governor...
C-CS

Leticia said...

Lib, Gov. Beebe is definitely NOT a blue-dog. This is the first time he has ever sided with the conservatives, as far as I know.

Carol, I thought so, too. And I am not a fan of the guy.

dmarks said...

From On The Issues, Beebe is a "moderate liberal populist'.

Teresa said...

At first I was thinking handguns in church? It just seems out of the ordinary for me. But I do think the governor did the right thing in passing the legislation considering the dangers occurring in this day and age.

Leticia said...

dmarks, exactly.

Teresa, you just can't be too careful in our society any longer. Church used to be a safe place but there isn't such thing as a safe place any longer.

Jersey McJones said...

Doesn't anyone see at least two ironies here???

Anyway, it's still up to the individual churches to decide their own conceal carry policy. I'd rather be in a church with no guns, for at least two reasons.

Guns in a Christian house of worship?

The sort of person who would bring a gun to a Christian house of worship?

Wow.

No thanks.

JMJ

Leticia said...

Jersey, I think it will probably be every churches individual decision.

It is really no big deal if my church does it or not.

I hope my church will allow it. But it will be up to the elders.