Monday, October 10, 2011

Billie Holiday - The Very Thought Of You


I absolutely LOVE this song....an oldie but a goodie, I hope you enjoy it!

Yeah, I know I didn't post about politics, but I have a book blog coming up this Wednesday called, "Zombie Church." Then after that back to politics.

Lyrics to: The Very Thought of You

The very thought of you
And I forget to do
Those little ordinary things
That everyone ought to do

I'm livin' in a kind of daydream
I'm happy as a queen
And foolish though it may seem
To me, that's everything

The mere idea of you
The longing here for you
You'll never know
How slow the moments go
Till I'm near to you

I see your face in every flower
Your eyes in stars above
It's just the thought of you
The very thought of you, my love

I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!



12 comments:

cube said...

Oh, I love me my Billie Holliday. There are too many to pick just one.

Leticia said...

She truly was a gifted singer. Yeah, there are way too many choose from, but this was truly at the top of my list of favorites.

Ducky's here said...

What you can do with just an octave.

She'd puts today's emotionless belters to shame.

dmarks said...

I always think of her bold "Strange Fruit" song.

Leticia said...

Ducky, you are absolutely correct. Hey! We agree on something, cool.

dmarks, yes! The raw emotion from her voice, she was singing from the soul, unbelievable talent!

WomanHonorThyself said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww nice break from the madness Letic~!..xoxoxox

Silverfiddle said...

I've had many friends comment with curiosity on my music tastes, but it still amazes me when I find others who love music not from their era.

Billie was a classic.

Karen Howes said...

Thanks Leticia, I loved this!

Z said...

Ducky, she IS a 'belter', trust me.
When trained properly or by instinct (as she was and is Streisand, who's the quintessential belter) the only way a voice lasts is through proper belting; people make the mistake of thinking Ethel Merman was the belter; she was, but she's a terrible example and why so many ertswhile great singers afraid of sounding like her won't belt.
Beverly SIlls would have still been singing and not developed the "old age wobble" in her voice, like Lena Horne did until she was very old, had she 'belted' properly. Yes, in opera.

Leticia, I loved singing the harmony with Billie on this one but it kept reminding me of Mr. Z and I had to finally stop.

dmarks is right; Strange Fruit is amazing, too.

thanks for posting this...great stuff.

Leticia said...

Angel, sometimes we all could use a small respite from politics.

Silver, you will find I love older music, and believe it or not I like big bands, too. But Billie is one of my favorite singers of all time.

Karen, you are very welcome!

Z, oh, I am so sorry it brought back a difficult memory. Agreed, Strange Fruit was a deep and profound song, so much pain.

Teresa said...

That music was great! Thanks for the break from politics, Leticia.

Leticia said...

You are very welcome, Teresa. I will start up again tomorrow.